About Maryhill Museum of Art’s Sculpture Collection
Maryhill Museum of Art’s sculpture collection includes more than 300 works. In addition to 50 Rodin works, Sam Hill’s largesse also included the large marble, Diana, Goddess of the Hunt, by French sculptor Albert-Ernest Carriere Belleuse (1824–1887) – a teacher of Rodin. The work came to the museum via Loïe Fuller, from the chateau garden of Grand Duke Alexander of Russia in Neuilly, France.
In 1926 a dozen plaster sculptures were added to the collection from Musée du Louvre in Paris that are generally in the style of French neoclassical sculptor Jean-Antoine Houdon. That same year, the Trocadero Museum in Paris donated 20 plaster copies of architectural details from French buildings and monuments. Alma de Bretteville Spreckels donated a variety of sculptures in 1951. These include a dozen Art Deco ceramic works by Séraphin Nikolayevich Soudbinine (Russian, 1867-1944) and The Wretched by Meta Vaux Warrick Fuller (American, 1877–1968).
Large-scale outdoor sculpture can be seen on the Museum’s grounds and in the William and Catherine Dickson Sculpture Park.
First: Meta Vaux Warrick Fuller (American, 1877–1968), The Wretched, 1902, bronze, 17” x 21” x 15”; Gift of Alma de Bretteville Spreckels, Collection of Maryhill Museum of Art
Second: Séraphin Soudbinine (Russian, 1870–1944), Three Fish, c. 1920s, glazed ceramic, 16” x 11¼” x 4”; Gift of Alma de Bretteville Spreckels, Collection of Maryhill Museum of Art
Third: Edward Burns Quigley (American, 1895–1984), Bronc Rider, 1969, bronze, edition of 20, 7¼” x 12”; Gift of the artist, Collection of Maryhill Museum of Art